ICICI Bank Approves Draft Scheme of Arrangement for Delisting ICICI Securities
On Friday, the share price of ICICI Bank experienced a decline of over 3% during early trade, following the company’s approval of the draft scheme of arrangement for the delisting of equity shares and the announcement of a share swap ratio. The stock fell as much as 3.4% to ₹593.40 apiece on the BSE. Additionally, the board of ICICI Bank has approved the delisting of ICICI Securities, a domestic brokerage firm. This move is aimed at creating a closer integration between the bank and the brokerage, leveraging business synergies and improving overall operational efficiency.
Delisting of ICICI Securities:
The draft scheme of arrangement for the delisting of equity shares of ICICI Securities was approved during a board meeting on June 29. As per the scheme, ICICI Bank will issue equity shares to the public shareholders of ICICI Securities in exchange for the cancellation of their equity shares in the company. This will effectively make ICICI Securities a 100% subsidiary of ICICI Bank. The delisting is subject to regulatory approvals and is expected to be completed within the next 12-15 months.
Reasons for Delisting:
ICICI Securities stated in a filing that although there are business synergies between ICICI Bank and the brokerage, a merger between the two entities is not feasible due to regulatory restrictions on the bank’s securities broking business. By making ICICI Securities a wholly-owned subsidiary, both entities can better capitalize on their synergies and align their operations with the bank’s customer-focused approach.
Implications for ICICI Bank and ICICI Securities:
Upon completion of the delisting process, ICICI Bank will gain complete ownership of ICICI Securities. As of March 31, 2023, ICICI Bank already held 74.85% of the equity shares of ICICI Securities, while the remaining 25.15% was held by the public. With ICICI Securities becoming a subsidiary, the bank can exercise more control over the brokerage’s operations and leverage its expertise to enhance customer offerings and expand its market presence.
Expected Benefits and Future Outlook:
The consolidation of ICICI Bank and ICICI Securities under a single ownership structure is expected to unlock several benefits. By aligning their strategies and resources more closely, both entities can create a seamless customer experience across banking and securities services. This integration is likely to lead to improved operational efficiency, enhanced cross-selling opportunities, and the development of innovative products tailored to customers’ needs.
Furthermore, ICICI Bank’s decision to delist ICICI Securities demonstrates its confidence in the long-term growth prospects of the brokerage. The bank’s aim to fully integrate the brokerage into its operations signals a commitment to expanding its presence in the securities business. This move could also provide ICICI Bank with a competitive edge in the financial services industry by offering a broader range of services to its customers.
The approval of the draft scheme of arrangement for the delisting of ICICI Securities represents a significant strategic decision by ICICI Bank. While the initial market response resulted in a decline in share price, the long-term benefits of closer integration and enhanced synergies between ICICI Bank and ICICI Securities are expected to outweigh the short-term concerns. By becoming a wholly-owned subsidiary of ICICI Bank, ICICI Securities can align its operations more closely with the bank’s customer-focused approach and capitalize on the combined strengths of both entities. As the delisting process progresses and regulatory approvals are obtained, ICICI Bank and ICICI Securities can work towards creating a stronger and more integrated financial services platform.