Meghalaya situation remains under close watch in Assam following violence in Shillong on August 19, with Assam minister Atul Bora saying it may take at least two days for normalcy to fully return. Bora made the statement on Sunday while meeting representatives of the Assam Cab Drivers’ Association and other groups concerned about the safety of drivers, vehicles and passengers.
The developments followed attacks and vandalism during a Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) black-flag motorcycle rally in Shillong. Several vehicles, including Assam-registered vehicles, were damaged during the unrest. The incidents also led to concerns over movement between the neighbouring states.
Assam monitors Meghalaya situation closely
Bora said the Meghalaya government had assured Assam that vehicles and tourists would receive full safety and security. He also briefed representatives on the decisions reached during a joint meeting between the two state governments on Saturday.
The Meghalaya situation was reviewed at the Koinadhara State Guest House in Guwahati. The meeting was led by Bora and Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar, along with senior officials from both states.
The talks lasted more than three hours. Both sides discussed immediate steps to restore normal movement and prevent further tensions. Meghalaya also expressed regret over the August 19 incident and assured Assam that strong action would be taken against those responsible.
Joint steps to ease the Meghalaya situation
Several measures were agreed upon to address the concerns. One key decision was to establish district-level joint committees involving officials from Assam and Meghalaya. These committees will help resolve day-to-day issues along the inter-state border more quickly.
Additionally, the two states agreed to create a joint mechanism involving transport authorities and tourist vehicle associations. The aim is to facilitate tourist movement and protect the shared tourism interests of Assam and Meghalaya.
The governments also agreed to complete the evacuation of stranded Assam-bound passengers and vehicles from Meghalaya within 48 hours. This was part of wider efforts to restore confidence among commuters and transport operators.
Safety concerns remain a priority
The Meghalaya situation has affected transport operators in Assam, particularly after commercial vehicle operators blocked routes to the neighbouring state. However, Assam cab operators later suspended their blockade following assurances from the Meghalaya government.
According to a PTI report, police said at least 31 vehicles were damaged and 16 people were injured in the August 19 violence. The incident prompted concern among drivers who regularly travel between Assam and Meghalaya.
Bora’s latest statement indicates that the authorities expect the situation to improve gradually rather than immediately. He said it could take at least two days for conditions to fully normalise.
Meghalaya situation tests inter-state coordination
The unrest has also highlighted the need for close coordination between Assam and Meghalaya. Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had earlier asked Bora to coordinate with Meghalaya authorities and work towards restoring peace and normalcy.
Sarma described Assam and Meghalaya as “sister states” and stressed the importance of mutual respect, restraint and sensitivity. Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma also said both states would work together to normalise the situation.
Meanwhile, Meghalaya authorities have initiated action in connection with the violence. The state government informed the joint meeting that the president, vice-president and general secretary of the KSU had been arrested under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act.
Normalcy depends on continued cooperation
The Meghalaya situation is now being managed through political and administrative coordination between the two neighbouring states. The focus remains on protecting travellers, restoring vehicle movement and preventing further incidents.
Moreover, the joint measures announced after Saturday’s meeting are intended to address both immediate safety concerns and longer-term coordination. Therefore, officials are seeking to ease tensions while maintaining regular communication across the inter-state border.
For travellers and transport operators, the coming days will remain important. Bora’s assessment that normalcy could take at least two days suggests that authorities expect a gradual return to routine movement. Overall, continued restraint and cooperation between Assam and Meghalaya will be central to restoring confidence and ensuring that the situation does not escalate further.
