Shillong violence has led Meghalaya to intensify its investigation after authorities identified five masked persons allegedly involved in attacks during the August 19 unrest in the state capital. The government has also formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to identify others involved and pursue action under the law.
The developments followed a joint meeting between Assam and Meghalaya officials on August 22. The meeting reviewed the violence, the safety of Assam-registered vehicles and measures to ease tensions between the neighbouring states.
SIT formed to trace those involved
Meghalaya has constituted an SIT to investigate the incidents and identify people who took part in the violence. According to the state government, the team will focus particularly on those allegedly responsible for attacks on Assam-registered vehicles.
The move comes as police continue to examine cases linked to the unrest. Fifteen FIRs have so far been registered in connection with the August 19 incidents. The investigation is expected to establish individual responsibility before further legal action is taken.
The Shillong violence followed a Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) black-flag bike rally. The event later saw incidents of assault, vandalism and attacks on vehicles in different parts of the city. Authorities have stressed that those found responsible will face action in accordance with the law.
Five masked persons identified
The Meghalaya government said five masked persons have so far been identified as allegedly involved in the August 19 incidents, particularly attacks on Assam-registered vehicles.
However, the identification does not by itself establish guilt. Investigators will need to gather evidence and determine each person’s role before charges can be established in court.
The SIT has therefore been tasked with tracing other alleged participants as well. Its work is expected to include examining available evidence linked to the incidents and identifying those who may have escaped initial scrutiny.
Shillong violence triggers safety concerns
The violence caused concern among travellers and residents, especially people from Assam who were stranded in Meghalaya. The state government said more than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles had been safely escorted out of Meghalaya by August 22.
Meanwhile, the Assam Control Room received 54 distress calls involving 175 people seeking assistance. These included people travelling in 22 private vehicles and five tourist vehicles. Meghalaya’s Control Room, meanwhile, received 379 distress calls.
Authorities in both states have focused on helping stranded passengers and vehicles return safely. They also agreed to strengthen coordination to prevent further tension and ensure safe movement between the two states.
Security measures continue in Shillong
Security measures have remained in place in Shillong after the unrest. The Indian Army and Rapid Action Force conducted a flag march as authorities sought to reassure residents and maintain public order.
The wider response has also included arrests of senior leaders of the KSU. The Meghalaya government said the union’s president, vice-president and general secretary were arrested under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act.
The arrests and FIRs are part of the broader official response to the Shillong violence. Authorities have indicated that investigations will continue and that responsibility will be fixed based on evidence.
Assam and Meghalaya seek calmer situation
The two state governments have also agreed on measures aimed at reducing tensions after the incidents. These include stronger coordination between officials, support for stranded travellers and steps to maintain safe transit for vehicles.
Additionally, the governments agreed to work on longer-term coordination over inter-State border concerns. District-level committees and arrangements involving transport authorities and tourist vehicle associations are also planned, according to the joint discussions.
The latest investigation is now central to efforts to restore confidence. By identifying those allegedly involved and tracing others, authorities hope to bring the Shillong violence cases to a lawful conclusion while preventing further escalation.
For residents, travellers and businesses affected by the unrest, a return to normal movement remains a priority. The authorities’ focus is now on investigation, accountability and maintaining peace across Meghalaya and Assam.
