Flood relief became the focus of a fresh political confrontation in Assam on August 22, as Sivasagar MLA Akhil Gogoi warned that he would perform “Tandav Nritya” on Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma’s table if affected people do not receive the full assistance promised by the government.
Gogoi said the warning was linked to alleged delays in distributing one-time assistance to flood-affected residents in Sivasagar and Charaideo. He also said he would resign as MLA if the government failed to fulfil its commitments to families that had suffered major losses.
Flood relief demand intensifies in Sivasagar
Gogoi alleged that almost 80 per cent of his constituency had been affected by the floods. According to him, many families lost houses, household goods and other belongings during the disaster.
He questioned why people who had been waiting for assistance were still without the promised payment. Gogoi said the administration had identified more than one lakh affected people, but claimed the process for providing one-time assistance had not started as expected.
The MLA also referred to his interaction with Sivasagar Deputy Commissioner Mridul Jadav. Gogoi claimed the deputy commissioner had acknowledged that more than two lakh people suffered losses. These figures were presented by Gogoi and were not independently verified in the reports reviewed.
Flood relief payment and beneficiary lists
Gogoi said the government had announced Rs 15,000 in one-time assistance for flood-affected people in Sivasagar and Charaideo after sustained pressure and repeated interventions. He, however, continued to demand that the full amount reach every eligible beneficiary.
The legislator also raised concerns about beneficiary lists. He alleged that discrepancies and duplicate names had been found and questioned why elected representatives were being asked to identify such entries.
Gogoi argued that beneficiary verification should be handled by the administration. He said officials should ensure that genuine flood-hit families are not excluded because of problems in the lists.
The allegations have not been independently established. The comments reflect Gogoi’s position on the ongoing relief process and his criticism of the district administration.
Flood relief row triggers fresh protest warning
Gogoi said he would intensify his protest if the promised assistance was not delivered. His warning to perform “Tandav Nritya” on the chief minister’s table marked another escalation in his criticism of the Assam government.
He had made a similar threat during the Assam Assembly session on July 29. At that time, he demanded Rs 10 lakh for every flood-affected family in Sivasagar and said he would stage the protest at the chief minister’s table if the demand was not met.
The latest statement differs in context. Gogoi is now specifically pressing for the promised one-time assistance to reach affected residents, while also continuing his demand for larger compensation for families that lost everything.
Dispute with Sivasagar administration
The flood relief issue has also led to tension between Gogoi and officials in Sivasagar. Employees of the Deputy Commissioner’s office recently protested against the MLA, accusing him of misbehaving with Deputy Commissioner Mridul Jadav during a discussion on assistance.
Gogoi said he welcomed the protest and invited officials, including members of the IAS officers’ association, to visit affected areas. He said they could see the damage and assess conditions for themselves.
He also claimed that mud and silt remained inside some flood victims’ homes. Gogoi argued that the continuing damage showed the need for a closer assessment of losses and faster support.
Flood relief remains central to political pressure
Gogoi has also criticised the Centre’s response to Assam’s flood situation. He said the scale of the disaster would have remained underreported without the issue being raised in the Assam Assembly.
Meanwhile, he said people from different parts of India had supported flood-affected communities. However, he alleged that the extent of the damage was still being underestimated.
For now, the dispute centres on whether eligible families receive the assistance announced by the state government. Gogoi’s latest warning adds political pressure on the administration as flood-hit residents await relief.
The government’s implementation of the assistance scheme will determine whether the confrontation escalates further. Gogoi has made clear that he intends to continue pressing for payments to affected families.
